Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Follow-up to Sunday's message

Readying and studying through Luther's commentary on Galatians today and came across this gem.  I thought it accented Sunday's message beautifully.


"But blessed is the man who knows this properly amid a conflict of conscience, who, when sin attacks him and the Law accuses and terrifies him, can say: 'Law, what is it to me if you make me guilty and convict me of having committed many sins?  In fact, I am still committing many sins every day.  This does not affect me; I am deaf and do not hear you.  Therefore you are telling your story to a deaf man, for I am deaf to you.  But if you really want to argue with me about sins, then go over to my flesh and my limbs, which are my servants.  Teach them; discipline and crucify them.  But do not trouble my conscience, which is lord and king; for I have nothing to do with you.  For I am dead to you; I now live to Christ, where I am under another Law, namely, the Law of grace, which rules over sin and the Law.'  By what means?  Through faith in Christ."


--Martin Luther, 1535 commentary on Galatians

No comments: